The Business of Wine
AmCham Australia and the Adelaide Business School presented "The Business of Wine", as a three part series.
Before the Covid-19 pandemic, the Australian Wine industry was projected to grow to over $3 billion in 2020 / 2021However, with no near-term international tourism expected and wine exports to China in jeopardy, there is a need to review the opportunities for Australian wine. There is no better time to reopen discussion with US distributors and retailers with a significant opportunity in the premium wine market.
Episode 1: Wine Sales and Marketing
Episode 1 covered the distribution outlets / the marketing resources and the support from the Australian government on driving new opportunities in the US market. Sustained recovery will rely on increasing the value of exports, driven largely by growth at higher price points, requiring a substantial change in perception and awareness of Australian wine in key markets.
- Andreas Clark, CEO – Wine Australia
- Justin Dry, Co-Founder & CEO, Vinomofo
- Kathy Marlin, Senior Vice President | General Manager, Negociants USA | Winebow Imports
- Rebecca Hopkins, Vice President - Communications & Partner, Folio Fine Wine Partners, and Founder, A Balanced Glass
Facilitated by Prof. Damien Wilson, Hamel Family Chair in Wine Business at Sonoma State University
Episode 2: Wine Tourism and Experiences: from the Cellar Door to Instagram
Wineries, tourism operators and regions depend on the development and promotion of extraordinary visitor experiences. Plus, wine can evoke memories and nostalgia, building long term brand loyalty after the customer has left. Wine tourism brought in almost $10 billion in 2018 / 2019 according to Wine Australia; with 50% being Australia (domestic) visitors and a big reinvestment in rural communities
- Brendan Carter – Chief Thinker, Winemaker & Distiller (Director), Team Unico
- Chester Osborn, Chief Winemaker & Viticulturist, d’Arenberg
- Katie Spain – Wine Writer and Storyteller, News Corp, DeliciousSA, Australian Wine Business Magazine, Gourmet Traveller Restaurant Guide, The Advertiser
- Linda Reiff, President & Chief Executive Officer, Napa Valley Vintners
Facilitated by Assoc. Prof. Armando Maria Corsi, Team Leader - Wine Business at University of Adelaide
Episode 3: Wine Tech and Innovation
Artificial Intelligence and machine learning have the potential to change the face of this centuries-old industry providing valuable insights into predicting seasonal yields; improving irrigation management, and understanding what people might prefer to purchase in the future.
Australian and US Wine industry is leading the way in research and development and new Wine Tech. Hear from our experts on what collaborations are happening and what we can learn from one another.
We do, however, need to better understand what are pre-conditions and necessary steps to transform brilliant ideas into executable actions, which are then widely adopted by the industry. Hear from our experts on how to lead the innovation charge and what we can learn from one another.
- Jamie Gilchrist, Co-Founder, Vintrace
- Louisa Rose, Head of Winemaking, Yalumba Wine Company | President, University of Adelaide Wine Alumni Network
- Michael Macolino, Associate Director, AgTech, BDO
- Paul Mabray, Chief Executive Officer, Emetry (San Francisco)
Facilitated by Jane Thomson, Founder and Managing Director, The Fabulous Ladies' Wine Society, Digital Wine Communicator of the Year 2019, 2016, 2013 | Chair, Australian Women in Wine Awards