2021 Wine Communicator Awards
We are proud to announce the fantastic achievements that have been awarded to our students and educators in the 2021 Wine Communicator Awards. The annual awards recognise outstanding contribution to, and excellence in, wine communication in all forms.
The Wine Educator Award was Dr. Rebecca Dolan. Rebecca's work, was highlighted in the judges assessment, and Best Wine Student award, Ruchira Ranaweera.
Ruchira’s work was described as,
‘a scholarly, well-researched and delivered piece of work on a topic that is highly relevant to the industry’.Wine Communicator Award Judge
This award is a fantastic achievement and is a true representation of her dedication to her studies.
Ruchira is now the third University of Adelaide student to receive this award in as many years, and is a great representation of the quality of students and education provided within our wine business programs.
The judges said Dr. Dolan was a truly modern educator for the industry.
"Rebecca is a skilled and passionate educator who is laying the groundwork for the next generation of industry. The judges were impressed by the amount of Rebecca's own work and initiative goes into her work; Rebecca clearly goes above and beyond the curriculum available to her,"Wine Communicator Award Judge
We congratulate Rebecca’s thoroughly deserved achievement and are grateful to have an educator of her calibre in our wine business program. Additionally, Rebecca is now the third University of Adelaide educator from our wine business program in five years to receive such award, following Kerry Wilkinson (2018) and Armando Corsi (2019).
Thanks to our amazing team of lecturers, some of which are academics and others industry professionals, we are able to provide our students with the highest-level of curriculum necessary both in research and day-to-day activities within industry. As such, Wine Business at the Adelaide Business School is committed to deliver the best education the country can offer.
We are proud to continue our gold sponsorship with Wine Communicators Australia in 2021.
The awards cover a wide breadth of wine communication categories, where in each category, a short list of finalists were reviewed and selected by an independent panel of expert judges. Individual award categories and winners were as follows:
Best Wine Marketing Communication Campaign (Individual or Team)
- Langhorne Creek Project 5255
- Scarborough Wine Co. / Mastermind Consulting
- Taylors Wines’ mission to save the seahorses / Blend Public Relations & Common Ventures – Winner
Best Wine Blog or Podcast
- Drinks Adventures Podcast – James Atkinson -Winner
- Wine for the People
- Wine with Meg + Mel – Rob Dolan Wines
Best Published Feature Article or Wine Column
- Jeni Port and Nicole Bilson
- Katie Spain -Winner
- Samantha Payne
Best Wine Serial Publication
- Veraison Magazine
- Wine Business Solutions -Winner
Best New Wine Book
- Elderton Wines, Elderton: A Vintage Story by Nicolas Brasch
- Soul Publishing, Wine, Beer & Spirits of the Fleurieu by Rojina McDonald -Winner
Best Wine Website or App
- Australian Wine Connect -Winner
- McLaren Vale Grape Wine & Tourism Association
Best Wine-themed Event
- Henschke and Hutton Vale Farm, Vino Camino -Winner
- Rob Dolan Wines: The Pairing Method
Best Wine Communicator
- Phillip Lord, Michael Hall Wines
- Rebecca Barr, Fernfield Wines -Winner
- Rhys Baker, Swinging Bridge Wines
Best Wine Educator
- Dr Rebecca Dolan, University of Adelaide -Winner
- Jamie Sach, Penfolds
- Hydra Consulting
Best Wine Student
- Kirsty Hill, Handpicked Wines
- Congling Faye Fu, TAFESA Wine & Spirit School
- Ruchira Ranaweera, University of Adelaide -Winner